BPS On-Line Library
The BPS offers all of its Bodhi Leaf and most Wheel Publications for reading or downloading from the Library section of this web site. Moreover, we also offer some popular books such as The Buddha and His Teachings.
(Wheels and Bodhi Leaves have been collected and republished in book format. Bound volumes of the Wheels may be found here, and Bodhi leaves here.)
To visit our libraries of Book Publications, Wheel Publications, Bodhi Leaves, Newsletters, and others, please click a link on the Library sub-menu above.
HTML versions of all of the Bodhi Leaves, Wheels, and Books in the online library may also be downloaded in a compact ZIP archive.
Displaying Pali and Sanskrit Characters
Our publications are available in the following formats:
- Plain text HTML. No special characters (except ñ) will be found in these documents.
- HTML with proper Pali diacriticals. For these you will need a unicode-compliant font. Since the advent of Windows Vista, the Times New Roman font contains all of the special diacriticals that we use. A few of the library pages use URW Palladio Pali, a special 8-bit font that contains the diacriticals used in Pali. See the downloads section, below.
- For Windows® XP and earlier, you must download either URW Palladio ITU, or Times New Roman version 5.01 (available here). Moreover, the DejaVu series fonts for Linux and MAC contain the necessary diacritical characters. These fonts are available on that page. For sans-serif fonts, note that Windows® Tahoma font contains the necessary diacriticals.
- PDF format. Consider these to be printer-ready versions of our on-line library publications. All special fonts are are embedded. Page size is international A4.
- ePub and MOBI e-books. Although the font specification for eBooks has been in effect for several years, it is unfortunate that support for the specification is spotty at best. For this reason, most of our ePub offerings are in plain text format. For readers that support Unicode characters, the proper character is specified, as well as a font substitution table. It is hoped that your ePub reader contains either Times New Roman version 5.01, DejaVu, or Tahoma fonts.
Please visit our fonts page to download the open-source fonts used on this site.
For those interested in learning the Pali Language we have offered two Pali-English dictionaries. The first, written in Microsoft® Access 97, contains both Pali-English and English-Pali entries. The second, called Pali Lookup, uses the Velthuis format to input diacritical characters, but displays the results in the open-source font Times_CSX. (This font will be automatically installed along with Pali Lookup.) Pali Lookup is a Pali-English dictionary only, but includes some useful functions such as providing a word usage count and complete declenation of each noun and adjective.
The Digital Pali Reader is a handy add-on for Firefox web browsers. It contains all of the features of the software listed above, and more. See http://pali.sirimangalo.org/ for details or to download.
from the BPS library
- BL 141: Detachment and Compassion In Early Buddhism, by Elizabeth J. Harris
- BL 36: Renunciation, by T. Prince
- BL 27: Treasures of the Noble, by Soma Thera
- BL 158: Jataka Tales of the Buddha - Part V, by Ken & Visakha Kawasaki
- BL 115: Anapanasati: Meditation On Breathing, by Nauyana Ariyadhamma Thera
Page updated Sunday 13 Jan 2013 5:35PM